What you need to know:
Meagan Black’s email is: firstname.lastname@example.org
Each member of the WRITING 12 class is REQUIRED to make at least ONE (1) submission to New Shoots.
You will be receiving a mark for submitting. If you do not submit, you will lose 7.5% from your Term 3 Mark.
Meagan will be letting me know what you submitted, BUT, when you submit to Meagan, you must also “cc:” me at email@example.com
It is YOUR responsibility to send Meagan your submission for consideration of publication in New Shoots.
Required Format and How to send your document:
1. Put your first and last names, your age, and Lord Byng Secondary on the top right of your submission.
2. Each submission requires a title (centered and below your name, etc.)
3. Must be black font in Times New Roman or Ariel 12 point.
4. Send attachment as .DOC of .RTF unless you are sending a document as in #6 below.
5. No Tables or custom tabs.
6. Shaped poems, graphic/cartoon work, or script work should be sent as a.PDF.
7. If your submission spans more than one typed page, number your pages as follows. If 2 pages, label first page 1 of 2 and the second page 2 of 2.
What to send?
I got in touch with Meagan, and you may each send up to 1000 words (One Thousand Words). You may submit as many pieces as you like, but do not exceed the 1000 total words per student limit.
Cover letter: Accompany your submission with an email that:
Salutation: To the Editors of New Shoots 2016-2017
1. Introduces yourself (Name, age, school)
2. Talks about you as a writer (briefly)
3. Thank the editors for reading and considering your work.
4. Close with a polite “Thank you,” or “Sincerely,” or “All the best,”
5. Below your close (as per #4), type your first and last name.
– Choose work you have submitted to me this year in WR12.
– Choose something of which you are proud, or at least happy.
– Sometime, less is more.
– Don’t be afraid to be published! You are all very talented!
– If you can’t think of a title, have a classmate read your work and help you brainstorm.
– BTW, “Untitled” is NOT a title!
Go forth and seek publication! I believe in each of you!